Saturday, January 04, 2014

Tomato Jam and Juice Day 3


Went to the farmer's market this morning on a mission.  The mission was to find something to make jam out of.  The strawberries were a bit expensive, so a friend and I turned these bad boys into a very tasty tomato jam, which is absolutely dynamite on grilled cheese.  We went into a bit of a canning frenzy as she also decided to make chicken stock, so I got to learn pressure canning and hot water bath canning all at once.  It was rather comical trying to juggle an enormous stock pot, a pressure canner, a dutch oven and a 2-quart sauce pan on her stove, but we made it happen.



Recipe:
     2 small beets
     2 carrots
     1 Granny Smith apple

Review:
     Very tasty!  I peeled the beets as I read that not peeling them results in a very "earthy" flavor that not everyone finds appealing.  It does have a bit of an earthy taste, but it's not unpleasant.

I am finding that the variety of apple I use in my juices makes a big difference.  The first juices I made were with Pink Lady apples and that resulted in a very sweet, easily drinkable juice.  I think the bolder flavor of the Ladies could make a veggie-heavy juice more accessible to a new or reluctant juicer.  Gala apples are much milder and are more neutral in flavor.  It's almost like they just add juice volume without shifting the flavor meter much.  The Granny Smiths have a tartness that plays well with the vegetables and adds dimension to a vegetable juice that doesn't feel like a masking agent for the veggies.

1 comment:

Daniel Efosa Uyi said...

hey nice post mehn. I like your style of writing. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog titled How To Make The World A Better Place And Live A Good Life .
keep up the good work.

Regards